New Edition with writeable PDF!*
He took him outside and said, “Look up at the heavens and count the stars, if indeed you can count them.” Then He said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” – Genesis 15:5
The aim of this course is to give an overview of the whole Bible. The Lord Jesus himself gave us the key when he said: You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life . These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. (John 5.39-40) He also said in another passage: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the law of Moses, the prophets and the Psalms. Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. (Luke 24.44‑45). When he said “the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms” Jesus was referring to the whole of the Old Testament, because in his day the Jewish people divided the Old Testament into these three sections. Jesus came to fulfill the Old Testament and constantly referred to it as the authority behind his teaching:
> Thus the central theme of the whole Bible is God’s plan to send a saviour, who is the Lord Jesus Christ.
Objectives of Overview of the Bible:
- To see the unified story of God’s redemption through Jesus
- To understand how God’s promise to Abraham was fulfilled in Christ
- To increase confidence in God’s faithfulness to His Word and His blessing to those who trust Christ for their salvation
- To be motivated to share in the ongoing fulfilment of God’s plan of blessing through bringing the message of the gospel to all peoples
- God’s promise to Abraham : A blessing for all peoples.
- Sketch of Old Testament history.
- The Gospels : Eye witness accounts of the coming of the Messiah Jesus.
- The Early Church : Preaching faith in Jesus the Messiah to the ends of the earth.
- The Epistles : Teaching for the Church.
* Note: Not all PDF programs will show writeable fields. If you have problems, please try Adobe Acrobat Reader to view/fill out the course PDF file.