To equip elders, discipleship group leaders and church planters with practical leaderships skills applicable to their ministry context, following a model of servant leadership.
This course focuses specifically on true spiritual leadership in the church. It begins by looking at biblical examples of leadership in Moses, David, Jesus and Paul. It then moves on to discuss the roles of elder and deacon, taking into account the role that women play in the church as well. Other subjects dealt with are the ministries of preaching, teaching, counselling, church discipline, church finances, and relationships between pastors and other leaders.
Content: By the end of the course, the student will be able:
- To outline the roles of elders and deacons, their qualifications and responsibilities.
- To recognize his or her individual gifts in leadership, pasturing, teaching, and etc.
- To describe different styles of church government, and to recognize the dangers of authoritarian leadership.
Character: By the end of the course, the student will demonstrate:
- A commitment to servant leadership: to serving the body of Christ in humility and holiness with the gifts and abilities that God has granted to him or her.
- An appreciation for Christian unity, an understanding of its theological foundations and a desire to see unity within his/her congregation, and between churches in his or her area
Competency: By the end of the course, the student will be able:
- To better understand how to guide, protect, enable and coordinate his fellowship in a spirit of Christian humility so that each person fulfills God’s calling upon him or her.
- To grasp the basic principles of resolving conflicts, and applying church discipline.
- To lead a worship service, to preach a simple message (15 minutes), and to lead a Bible study.
- To balance a simple accounting ledger and handle basic financial matters in the church.
- To establish a goal and a plan for the growth of his/her church, based upon present resources.