The student will make use of the basic principles of biblical interpretation (hermeneutics), introduced in BIBL201.
By the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- Give general background to the prophetic ministry.
- Review the historical background to the period of the ‘writing prophets’ in order to understand the situations that the prophets faced. (Note: this period of history is covered in BIBL204).
- Understand both the immediate situations the prophets addressed and the future dimensions of their prophecies.
- Discuss different aspects of, and approaches to, the question of fulfilment of their prophecies: fulfilment in Israel’s history prior to Christ’s coming (e.g. the exile and return); fulfilment in Christ; fulfilment in the Church; eschatological fulfilment (including the place of Israel and modern day Israel).
- Be able to develop practical applications for today: be able to bring a ‘word of encouragement’ from the prophets.